Date(s) - 16/10/2021
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Restaurante El Puerto Tarifa
Event: Sea-watching from Isla de Las Palomas (Tarifa)
Date: 16th October 2021
Meeting Point and access to the restricted area:
8:30 A.M PROMPT. At the start of the road leading to Isla de Las Palomas in Tarifa (between Playa de Los Lances and Playa Chica). The above map indicates the exact location of the meeting point. Parking should be easy in the adjoining streets. From here we will walk to the entrance of Isla De Las Palomas (restricted area), where Guardia Civil will be waiting to open the gate. Once inside, we will keep walking to the recently constructed observatory next to the lighthouse (less than 1Km total walk). The programmed time to exit the restricted area will be around 11:30 A.M. After members have left Isla de Las Palomas, Frank will lead the group to Los Lances, where those with a packed lunch can eat in the hide, whilst those members wanting a sit down meal can dine at one of the many Ventas on the other side of the road from Los Lances. After lunch we will visit La Janda and Barbate Marshes.
Start Time: 08:30 prompt.
Leader for the day: Javi Elorriaga and/or Yeray Seminario from Birding The Strait
Information about the meeting: La Isla de las Palomas in Tarifa, within El Estrecho Natural Park, is the southernmost end of the European continent. Here the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea meet, providing privileged opportunities to observe seabirds on migration. Late October is one of the best times of the year to watch this spectacle, both in terms of quantity of birds and diversity of species. Some of the most representative species to be observed include: Scopoli’s and Balearic Shearwater, European Storm-Petrel, Gannet, Mediterranean, Audouin’s, Lesser Black-Backed and Yellow-legged Gull, Sandwich Tern, Razorbill, etc. In addition, we should expect to observe an interesting array of passerines on their way to Africa and there is always the chance to observe Bottlenose and Striped Dolphins.
It is important to remember that:
- The group is restricted to a maximum of 17 participants, including the guides (2).
- The list of participants, including full name and passport number should be submitted before the 4th October 2021.
- The entire group must access and exit the restricted area within “Isla de Las Palomas” simultaneously, accompanied by Guardia Civil.
- Identity documents must be kept handy when accessing the restricted area.
- During the visit the group must stay around the observatory and the surrounding designated area, which is clearly delimited.
- In case of bad weather we will find an alternative birding destination in the area.
- The use of field scopes is highly recommended. Birding The Strait will provide 2 field scopes.
- It would be ideal if members booking their place can give full name and passport number in comments of the booking form.
Waterproof jacket and warm clothes. A recently built observatory provides, to some extent, shelter against wind and rain.
Accommodation in the area:
Huerta Grande, Hotel La Residencia Playa, Hotel Hurricane, Mesón de Sancho, Hostal El Levante. Details about the accommodation offered by our Affiliated Members in this area can be found by using the following link https://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/affiliated-services/accommodation-by-province
Clothing and Food:
Waterproof Jacket and warm clothing. We will have the choice of bringing a packed lunch for our visit to Los Lances or for those wishing to take a sit down meal, there are several choices of Ventas nearby.
Scopoli’s and Balearic Shearwater, European Storm-Petrel, Gannet, Mediterranean, Audouin’s, Lesser Black-Backed and Yellow-legged Gull, Sandwich Tern, Razorbill, etc.
Other sites in the area for those staying overnight:
La Janda, Barbate, Tarifa, Gibraltar etc.
Information about all these bird sites can be found on the Society’s web site https://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/bird-sites
1. We will ask a member to write a trip report for our experiences of the day.
2. Members can invite guests, but they must join the Society on the day for insurance purposes.
In case you have problems to do your booking, please read the following Member’s help post: