Date(s) - 19/11/2022
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Event: Birdwatching in Subbeticas Saws
Date: 19th November 2022
Meeting Point: Hotel Mitra parking (see map above)
Time: 08.30 am for 9:00 am
Leader for the day: Antonio Pestana (telephone: +34 651 692 055)
Information about the meeting:
- Friday night:
We try so that the group can see and hear Eagle Owl and Little Owl
Visit to the Bailón River Canyon. Later, transfer to the Sierra de Cabra to see the black wheatear in our hide. Later, visit the Sanctuary of the Virgin known as the Balcony of Andalusia, where we can enjoy amazing views and have lunch.
After lunch, we will go to the Casa Ólea hotel in Priego de Córdoba to install two nest boxes for Barn Owls and where we will talk about the results of the hacking project with which Andalucia Bird Society has been collaborating for three years. Afterwards we will take a walk to observe the typical birds of the olive grove and the groves of the small river that is next to the house.
Birds that we can see: although it will not be easy to see the Bonelli’s Eagle, it has its territory in the immediate vicinity. If we can see Finches, Warblers and other wintering birds such as the Song Thrush.
Likewise, we will be able to see the hotel facilities, designed for the rest of birdwatchers, located in a beautiful place and with bird guides available to customers.
Accommodation in the area:
- In Cabra:
. Hotel Mitra (604 40 51 58)
. Hotel Fuente de las Piedras (957 52 97 40)
. Hotel Villa María (857 89 40 40)
- In Priego de Córdoba:
. Casa Olea (696 74 82 09) Its owner is Tim and he is a member of the Andalucía Bird Society.
. Villa Turística de Priego (957 70 35 03)
- In Carcabuey:
. Hostal La Zamora (957 70 42 08)
Clothing and food:
– Clothing: It’s late fall. It can be hot if the day is not cloudy, but the first and last hours can be cold. Therefore, warm clothing is recommended. Comfortable footwear, we will not carry out routes that require special footwear.
– Food: I can hire a typical Spanish menu from a friend’s restaurant (paella, potato omelette and salmorejo, with a drink included) to eat in the countryside, in the Sierra de Cabra. Tomorrow the price and the minimum number of people needed to be able to do it could pass. The rest of the participants who do not want to eat this menu can eat in the area where there are numerous picnic areas..
Possible birds: Black Wheatear, Common Crossbill, Blue Rock Thrush, Griffon Vulture, Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon, Bonelli’s Eagle, Chough, Iberian Grey Shrike, Dartford Warbler, Rock Bunting, Wren, Little Owl, Eagle Owl…
1. We will ask a member to write a trip report for our experiences of the day.
2. Members can invite guests, but they must join the Society on the day for insurance purposes.
3. We will ask members in attendance to drop a voluntary micro-contribution in a collection box to show their appreciation for the day and help support a nominated ABS conservation project.
If you would like to help us in funding the many conservation projects we support please donate via this link here.
Bookings are closed for this event.